Bill P.'s Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

M 50x66
Oct 21, 2009

Recommended to Bill by: Reviews of the first in the series
Recommended for: just about anyone
Read in October, 2009 , read count: 1

Entirely satisfying conclusion to the first two books in the series. It's not often I can find the time to get through a 600 page novel in a week but it was no problem staying clued to The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I don't read a lot of thrillers but what struck me was Larsson's depiction of how the majority of people in the Swedish secret police and government were actually appalled to know that a citizen's civil rights were being violated and were willing to jump into the fray to correct the wrong. My impression is that in an American thriller scenario there would be a single moral soul that felt the outrage and was compelled to work against an uncaring or accepting bureaucracy. Might be more to learn about from the Swedes besides how their health care system works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

message 1: by Syron (new)

Syron The truth is a lot more complicated. In reality, most whistleblowers have about as hard a time in Sweden as they do in the US, sometimes moreso because of a tired acceptance of corrupt politicians and businessmen's place in high positions in society (Examples being Mona Sahlin, presumably some members of the Wallenberg family, etc). A greater acceptance of curtailed civil rights has sadly followed in the wake of September 11 just as it did in the US. The health care system is ok, though it can stand a bit of reform as well (Which it's currently seeing, though at times not in the way it ought to see it, if the results are to be believed so far).

As for the review, short but interesting. I'll grab a hold of a copy at first chance.. once I've plowed through the books preceding this one.