Hyrum's Reviews > No Man Knows My History: The Life of Joseph Smith

No Man Knows My History by Fawn M. Brodie

M_50x66
Oct 24, 09

Read in October, 2009

It's obvious from the start that Brodie is biased against the official LDS church "approved history", and so many of her opinions are to be taken with that in consideration. However, the historical facts she presents are very interesting and well worth the time to read.
She does a great job at presenting her historical information mainly due to how she rates the credibility of her many different sources. She quotes directly from diaries and official records without the illusion that everything can be taken at face value. As is always the case with human accounts, truth and fiction can be dangerously interwoven. It was refreshing to read the viewpoints of so many people on each topic.
Many people take offense at what she's written, and disagree vehemently with her conclusions. I may not agree with all of her opinions, but that's one of the reasons to write about history. She's entitled to her opinions. However, I am glad she took the time to include so much information that is scattered in so many other sources.
Definitely a book I'd recommend.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Man Knows My History.