Nely's Reviews > The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

Nov 19, 09

bookshelves: own
Read in November, 2009

This is the story of a china rabbit named Edward Tulane. Now this rabbit is loved unconditionally by his owner Abilene... but he loves no one but himself. He is so pleased with his home on Egypt Street, his silk suits, his perfect manners, his lack of want or need, and is just so utterly pampered, that he hasn't a care for anyone, that is until the day that he is lost.

When Edward loses his way from Abilene he has no other choice but to wait. For Edward can't walk or talk... he is a china rabbit after all. But that's just the beginning of his journey, a journey where he will not only learn to accept his fate, but learn to love, to lose and, eventually (although reluctantly) to love again.

Along with Edward you are whisked away on the ocean tides, fished out of the ocean, dumped with the garbage, live life as a hobo, acting as a scarecrow, dancing for money and even the companion to a dying girl.

I absolutely fell in love with this tiny masterpiece. Edward's journey is heartbreaking and at the same time uplifting. The characters he meets along his journey are each very special in their own right. Whether it's the fisherman and his wife or living with the hobo and his companion dog... they all have real problems. Although this story is geared for young children, I think it might be better understood if read by a parent or teacher. There were several instances where I felt a young child would not fully grasp the meaning of the real-life problems some of these characters were dealing with.

I really commend Ms. DiCamillo for never faltering in forgetting that Edward was a porcelain doll. I really enjoyed that she never brought him to life. He had all these feelings and emotions, and even though most of his owners treated him as a real person, he was never nothing more than a toy.

Edward Tulane's tale is charming, beautifully written, amazingly illustrated and just a treasure to own. I highly recommend this to readers of all ages.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.