Jace's Reviews > Dungeon: Zenith - Vol. 1: Duck Heart

Dungeon by Joann Sfar

M 50x66
Dec 17, 2009

bookshelves: comics
Recommended for: WoW/Diablo/D&D fans who like a little humor with their geekery
Read in October, 2009

This is one of the best Graphic Novels I've read in some time. One of the authors described the book as "Conan the Barbarian meets The Muppet Show," which turned out to be a fairly accurate characterization. Essentially, DUNGEON is an anthropomorphic comic parody of Dungeons & Dragons, but a quick glimpse into the book reveals that it's so much more than a parody--the world of DUNGEON really takes on a life of its own. At first glance, DUNGEON reminded me of the card game Munchkin, which also purports to be a parody of D&D. While DUNGEON and Munchkin are both lighthearted parodies, they're both also so detailed and engrossing that they rise to the level of complexity and marvel found in the original source they intend to parody.

This comic was originally written in French, but they must have used an excellent translator because the dialog is still hilarious in English. At first I was put off by the $15 cover price for a mere 96 pages, so I borrowed this book from my library. However, each page is covered in panels (usually 6-10 per page) and each panel is full of dialog. It may be a small volume, but it's still a pretty epic read. I just finished the book, but I would gladly pick it right back up and reread it again. That's probably a better sign of value than any price tag.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dungeon.