Karen's Reviews > SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes And Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance

SuperFreakonomics by Steven D. Levitt

F 50x66
Dec 08, 09

Read in December, 2009

If you liked Freakonomics you will like SuperFreakonomics. It has the same recipe of engaging writing, interesting and sometimes off-beat topics, and pragmatic analysis on a range of issues. For me, it also has the same flaw as Freakonomics which is that while I admire their spirit I am sometimes unconvinced by their facts or conclusions. For example, they posit that a realtor does not add significantly to the sale price of a home but then go on to list the many ways that the study might be flawed. I'm glad they were honest about the limitations of what they studied, but I was left feeling a little frustrated that they didn't try to get better data. One area where I agree with them wholeheartedly is that it's going to take radical innovation rather than persuading people to change their lifestyles in order to deal with global warming. I'm not convinced that their exact approaches are a good idea, but I like that they are thinking outside the box.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SuperFreakonomics.