Heather's Reviews > The White Queen

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

Oct 28, 09

bookshelves: historical, some-graphic-content
Read in October, 2009

Philippa Gregory is a fascinating writer. She has the knack for pulling the reader in and creating plenty of suspense for well-known historical stories. The White Queen is no exception, but it's not up to par with some of the other Gregory novels. By that I mean it didn't hold the same interest because the main character, Elizabeth, was very passive. She was not one of those characters that "ran towards lightening," but instead she would just make threats behind closed doors. I would have liked the witchcraft angle solidified more, maybe creating more doubt or suspicion in the readers' minds, as well as more reaction to her husband's endeavors. She seemed too-knowing, too accepting of the court life, something that should have been new to her. As the book it written, Elizabeth falls easily into the role with no character change or growth.

Overall, I felt sad about the characters and the constant deception surrounding them--what a waste of life and living for those English monarchies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Queen.

message 1: by Jewel (new)

Jewel Thanks for the review, Heather. I'm getting ready to start that one. I've loved some of Philippa's other books, especially The Other Boleyn Girl.

Heather I think The Other Boleyn Girl is her best one.

message 3: by Jewel (new)

Jewel Me, too. I was a little bummed that I didn't watch the movie first because I knew it wouldn't be as good as the book, but I still liked it:-)
And if you're into period pieces, try The Last Wife of Henry VIII and The Hidden Diary of Marie Antionette (sp) by Carolly Erickson.

Karyl I can see where you say that Elizabeth is a passive character, especially held up to Gregory's previous characters. However, court life would not have been new to her. She served on the court of Margaret of Anjou, the Queen of England under Henry VI, the previous holder of the throne.