Megan's Reviews > Dicey's Song

Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt

Oct 20, 09

Read in October, 2009

Without Homecoming, I can see that this book would lose some of its weight. But as a sequel, I found it fantastic and just as compelling. (Perhaps reading the two back to back helped that feeling.) Dicey is a great character, and there are still so many unanswered questions and avenues yet to be explored in her life. I can't wait to read more of the series.

I often find that I'm most excited about a book just after I finish it, and then my excitement cools. We'll see if that happens here. Usually, I want my highest rated books to be ones that have sticking power with me. They're typically full of interesting characters and plot, but also have powerful life lessons, compelling and extraordinary writing, and one-liner quotations that ring true and beg to be copied down or underline. They're the books I mark up and add notes to in the margins. But sometimes I read books that, while not leading me to mark them, are still wonderful reads and have many of, if not all, the elements I'm looking for. With these books, I often second guess my first reactions and rate them lower than I initially feel. Perhaps it shouldn't be that way. With that in mind, I'll just say that this feels like a five-star book to me now, and perhaps the initial reaction should be the best one from which to judge.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dicey's Song.

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Your review definitely peeks my interest and makes me want to add them to my 'to read' books. Do you like them better than the Hunger Games series? I finally read #2 and though I read it fast I just wasn't as crazy about it. I am also with you about the review of books and the 5 star status. Sometimes I even go back and change my original ranking.

Megan I did like these better than The Hunger Games series. I think it's because these books are deeper, more realistic (at least in a way), and less based on pop culture or TV phenomena. (Not that I don't really like the Hunger Games books too!) Mostly, I think the difference is in the depth of the characters and the slightly more sophisticated, spare writing style.