Lucy's Reviews > Fallen

Feb 10, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, angels
Recommended for: Fans of Hush Hush or Beautiful Creatures
Read from February 07 to 10, 2010

Fallen is the first book in a young adult series by Lauren Kate. I was initially so excited to read this book because of the subject matter and the beautiful cover, then I started getting a little wary by some of the reviews. Overall, I ended up liking it, but not loving it.

The pace is very slow. It kept my interest, but not a lot of plot happens in the first half of the book. Then there is a lot of development at the end, and I was still left with a lot of questions.

I liked the setting and the descriptions used in the book. It was easy to visualize the dark, depressing school the author describes. And I enjoyed some of the side characters as well.

Fallen takes place in Savannah, Georgia and tells the story of Luce, a teenager who is placed in a reform school because of her mysterious involvement in a classmate's death. At the school she finds herself in a love triangle with two students, Daniel and Cam. Meanwhile she is still dealing with the aftermath of the events that led her to the Sword & Cross school. There are some twists and turns and mystery that keep it interesting. I was sometimes frustrated with Luce and some of her choices.

However, I am intrigued enough with the story to pick up the sequel Torment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.

02/08/2010 page 106