Laura Rumohr's Reviews > A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever

A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever by Marla Frazee

Oct 23, 09

bookshelves: realistic-fiction

Summary:
A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever is a picture book written for students in grades 2-5. The book was written with various amounts of text on each page along with character dialogue that contributes to the importance of the story. The story begins as 2 boys go away from home to stay with Eamon's (one of the boys) grandparents during a week of Nature Camp. When they get to the grandparents house (Bill and Pam) the boys enjoy spending time with them. They eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches, banana pancakes, etc. After their first day of camp the boys come home and just enjoy spending time together. They eat, watch tv, and play on an air mattress. After a full week of truly enjoying each others company, they realize they've run out of things to do inside the house and venture outdoors. This is the first time they truly enjoy nature, and it ends up being the best thing they do all week. You'll have to read to see what they do!
Review:
I thought Marla Frazee did a wonderful job creating illustrations that reflected the personalities of the character's in the story. She created characters that many children can relate to because it's a story about friendship and a relationship with grandparents. I especially liked the story because it reminded me of when I would go and visit my grandparents. When I would visit them there would be very few rules, and I could do what I wanted. These boys seemed to have the freedom to just enjoy their week! Some students might also be able to connect to the setting as being a vacation spot, however, many of my students have never seen the beach and therefore might have trouble relating to that aspect of the story. I would love to read this story to elementary students because I think they'd have fun imagining what they would do to have the best week ever.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hi Laura! I remember Amanda having this book in her stack a couple weeks ago and was really interested in it. So it is not really appropriate for first grade? Any particular reason? Content? Vocabulary? Text structure? Just curious, as I think my students really would connect to the adventure, family, and friendship themes which seem to be present in this text. Thanks for sharing your thoughtful review!

Laura Rumohr I guess it could work for first grade more as a read aloud than an independent read because of the text structure. In my opinion it would take a lot of pre-teaching about how to read the dialogue along with the rest of the text, but first graders would definitely identify with the content. So it would be appropriate for first grade if you took time to show them how to read the text components (kind of how we learned in our class from this summer).