Shellie (Layers of Thought)'s Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

1987170
Abandoned!

I tried this in audio with two formats, and read a bit. In the first the reader did not have a pleasant voice - stuffy and with a nasal sound. Very annoying. The second reader's narration was much more pleasant but after listening for a few hours I know now that I will become very annoyed and frustrated with the conversations and what appears to be petty manipulations and suppositions by the characters.

I am not a big romance fan, had enough Victoriana as a kid and am fairly certain that reading it will also produce the same feeling, since I did read several chapters as well. Perhaps I will try again in a few years? Probably not.

I do think Nancy Pearl has a great philosophy - the older you get the less time you should spend on books you don't enjoy. She even has a mathematical formula for it. Here is her quote -

"If you're 50 years old or younger, give every book about 50 pages before you decide to commit yourself to reading it, or give it up.

If you're over 50, which is when time gets shorter, subtract your age from 100 - the result is the number of pages you should read before deciding whether or not to quit. If you're 100 or over you get to judge the book by its cover, despite the dangers in doing so."
— Nancy Pearl

I have read more than 50 pages of this book, parts twice. I quit!
13 likes · Likeflag

07/02/2010 page 20
100% "Not sure I am going to make it through this audio version... annoying voice and... I'm not sure this book is for me..." 4 comments

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 10: by logankstewart (new)

logankstewart I've not read the book, but I really enjoyed the most recent film version with Kiera Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen. The story is funny at times, and I've even gone to a play, which also was fun. Still, I just don't think I could handle the novel.

Shellie (Layers of Thought) I will watch the movie then...

I usually don't watch a movie and then read a book, since the plot is spoiled. But since its in the out pile I will.

So many people in my friends list here have given it 5 stars. I feel like an odd bird. Oh well...

message 8: by logankstewart (new)

logankstewart If it's any consolation, Keisha assures me that the movie leaves out plenty from the book, so not everything is spoiled!

Shellie (Layers of Thought) Lol....Dang that's a relief....

To be truthful, I really did not want to read it to begin with. But you know you have to give things a go just to be sure. For example Lolita - is for the most part brilliant. I am completely surprised.

Carol I tried this book long ago and gave up on it. Thank you for the quote from Nancy Pearl. So, lets see, I am up to the 36 page test!

Shellie (Layers of Thought) No fair... no ages get mentioned here...;)

Its a great quote... get out of guilt free quote.

I am so glad Carol... I feel like a goof with all these five stars in my friend's list for the book.

Carol I think some books are meant for some people and not for others.

Carol

message 3: by J.N. (new) - rated it 1 star

J.N. ^ This. I also gave up halfway in. I just wasn't liking it.

Shellie (Layers of Thought) J.N. -
Yep, life is too short for books you don't enjoy. This was definitely a don't for me.

I tell you though, I just adored Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre .... wonderful English classics, set around the same time period. A 4.5 star and 5 star respectively. Try one!

message 1: by J.N. (new) - rated it 1 star

J.N. I didn't care much for Wuthering Heights, though I did like it much better than Pride and Prejudice. I definitely have Jane Eyre on my list, though. :-)