Stephen's Reviews > Money-Driven Medicine: The Real Reason Health Care Costs So Much

Money-Driven Medicine by Maggie Mahar

Oct 23, 2007

Mahar thoroughly investigates the current US health care crisis in Money-Driven Medicine. She has compiled a diverse and expansive sampling of interviews with physicians, hospital administrators, insurance providers, pharmaceutical companies, government agencies, and Wall Street analysts. She uses her proven economic savvy (see Bull!) to illuminate the source of many crucial problems we are experiencing with our free-market health care system.

She quotes expert opinion extensively and delivers her message in a concise, efficient way. The book is fairly long, but is literally packed with statistics, case studies and the like. I cannot validate the credibility of all of the experts she quotes, but from a small amount of investigation I've done they seem to be fairly notable.

Totally recommended for anyone who is curious about why injustice doesn't merely strike the poor, but the middle class as well in our country. You won't want to go to the doctor afterwards though, so study up on your Physician's Handbook.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Money-Driven Medicine.