Jade's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Oct 22, 09

bookshelves: 2009, 1001-books
Read in October, 2009

Having watched an awful play of this 10 years ago I had no intention of reading this book until a friend recommended it, having felt herself that it was worthy of 4 stars. I must admit that I found it very interesting and read through quickly and eagerly.
The social group changes that occur throughout this book would be a great insight for any sociology or psychology student, and for that reason worth a read. Golding demonstrates the goodness and darkness of human nature in both an understanding and harrowing way. However, the book just didn't have enough depth for me. I found that instead of looking to the underlying reasons for social change, I was reverting to simplyly hating and wanting to 'sort out' some of the characters. Also, I felt that the ending was rushed through, with certain characters not being given the justice so deserved.
Maybe I do sound now like one of the books characters, and maybe I should believe they were only children scared and alone. However, if this was to be the case then I think that Golding should have gone more into their own personal lives before the crash, and given me something 'ideal' to hold on to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.