Margaret's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

F 50x66
Oct 20, 2009

Read in August, 2010

I actually tried to read this a few months ago, and couldn't get into it at all (downloaded the sample onto my Kindle). But it somehow ended up in my pile at the library, and I had nothing else new in the house.

I shouldn't like this, because it goes against my hard and fast "nothing about the Holocaust" rule, but I just completely got sucked in. The epistolary novel centers on a British author, post WWII, who is looking for material for a new book, when she gets a letter from a man in Guernsey who somehow ended up with an old book of his. He tells her that since the German occupation, the island has no books, and asks for her help in finding more. She writes back, and asks him to explain a random comment about a pig roast and the Society of the title, and the story takes off from there.

The writing reminds me very much of L. M. Montgomery; Juliet could be Anne Shirley 60 years later. But that's not a bad thing, is it?