Headacheslayer's Reviews > It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita

It Sucked and Then I Cried by Heather B. Armstrong

Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: 2010, favorite-author, health, humor, parenting, memoirs-autobiographies-biographies
Recommended to Headacheslayer by: Dooce.com
Recommended for: parents, survivors of PPD
Read from September 22 to 28, 2010, read count: 1

Heather Armstrong has always been "Dooce" to me, ever since I began reading her phenomenal blog. I was delighted to get a copy of her book. Though much of it reads like her blog, it has differences and drew me in immediately.

This book is funny, humbling, and at times, actually brought me to tears. Like Heather, I am a survivor of severe postpartum depression (PPD). Unlike Heather, I was always afraid to talk about it, the stigma too great, especially since, like Heather, I was hospitalized for four days. I was humbled by her honesty and bravery. Though my daughter is 15--much older than her daughter Leta--her book proves that healing can come from the most unexpected places and even years later.

I realized how much I miss reading her blog, and I'm sure I'll find my way back over and catch up. I do hope that Heather continues to share her life with us in novel form.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Sucked and Then I Cried.

09/25/2010 page 94
37.0% "I have loved Dooce for so long, and this book is sweet, hysterical and heartbreaking at the same time. As a survivor of PPD, I feel her pain as she suffers through it. Definite must-read for any parent and mom!"