Patrick's Reviews > Everybody Dies

Everybody Dies by Lawrence Block

M 50x66
Oct 19, 2009

Read in September, 2009 , read count: 1

Starting this book I was a bit worried that I would miss a lot since I had not read the earlier Matthew Scudder books. After a few chapters I found that my fears were clearly unfounded. Block did an good job introducing the characters without throwing entire histories at us. I imagine there is a wrinkle here or there I did not pick up on, but on the whole I enjoyed meeting the characters and did not feel lost in a sea of established faces.

The story itself had some predictable twists and turns. I don't think you need to be a master detective in order to figure them out. But, in spite of a few cliches and this predictability the well developed characters and the crisp entertaining descriptions made the book an enjoyable read.

It is a story of mistaken identities, double crossing friends and violence - a ton of that. Matthew Scudder is a recovering alcoholic, ex cop and current PI. He becomes embroiled in a mysterious feud between a mob boss friend and parties unknown. The stakes are constantly rising throughout the story with the violence getting both more intense and more personal. Our eyes are slowly opened to who is doing what and why. We meet Scudder's wife and his street/cyber smart assistant who both help him find his way. We meet mob boss/client Mick Ballou who brings Scudder into the trouble, but also helps him find the way out.

The book is a definite page turner. Like a good potato chip bag it is hard to put it down once you open it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everybody Dies.