Scotchneat's Reviews > The Best Laid Plans

The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis

Oct 19, 09

bookshelves: humour
Read in August, 2009

Ah, I loves me some Canadian political satire. Don't think I've had this much fun since King John of Canada (Scott Gardiner - go read it).

A young politico quits Ottawa when the blech factor gets to be too much, but he's "persuaded" to run one final campaign in a riding where the party has no hope in hell of winning a seat.

The last guy he bugs to stand up is a an Engineering Prof who desperately wants to get out of teaching English 101, and so a deal is struck. Then he finds a firecracker former campaign runner at the local old folks home, and they're on the trail (oh yes, and with some punk-emo students to do the door-to-door and scare the constituents).

And you know what happens next. Scandal of the century - and it's the mean ole incumbent. Hilarity ensues.

But like King John, there's a line of idealism under the humour that makes me simultaneously long for politicians who aren't in it for the politics, and loathe the twits we're currently stuck with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Laid Plans.