Dija's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Dec 03, 2013

bookshelves: 2008, buddy-slash-group-read, favorites, wow, childhood-friends-turned-lovers, ya, authors-i-stalk, my-reviews, first-in-series
Recommended to Dija by: Everyone who has read it!
Recommended for: Everyone who hasn't. Seriously, READ IT!
Read from October 05 to 06, 2011

My "Epic Book Recipe" Checklist for The Hunger Games:

1. A sharp and intelligent heroine with just the right amount of emotion who gives in to absolutely nothing and no one?

2. A sweet and sensitive hero who loves and supports the heroine unconditionally?

3. An original setting with a unique and thrilling plot?

4. A couple of earth-shattering shocks every now and then to keep the readers' mind reeling?

5. Extraordinary side characters from interesting backgrounds who possess the much-needed Voice of Reason and/or Humor in every crisis?

6. Desperate circumstances that force me to bite my nails in anxiety?

7. An ending that provides the perfect premise for the sequel but also concludes the present book?

Like I said, EPIC.

For more reviews, visit my blog.
1055 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Quotes Dija Liked

Suzanne Collins
“Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when it's morning again, they'll wash away
Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.”

Suzanne Collins
“Remember, we're madly in love, so it's all right to kiss me anytime you feel like it.”

Suzanne Collins
“I can feel Peeta press his forehead into my temple and he asks, 'So now that you've got me, what are you going to do with me?' I turn into him. 'Put you somewhere you can't get hurt.”

Suzanne Collins
“One more time? For the audience?" he says. His voice isn't angry. It's hollow, which is worse. Already the boy with the bread is slipping away from me.
I take his hand, holding on tightly, preparing for the cameras, and dreading the moment when I will finally have to let go.”

Suzanne Collins
“And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.”

Suzanne Collins
“I'm coming back into focus when Caesar asks him if he has a girlfriend back home. Peeta hesitates, then gives an unconvincing shake of his head.

Handsome lad like you. There must be some special girl. Come on, what’s her name?" says Caesar.

Peeta sighs. "Well, there is this one girl. I’ve had a crush on her ever since I can remember. But I’m pretty sure she didn’t know I was alive until the reaping."

Sounds of sympathy from the crowd. Unrequited love they can relate to.

She have another fellow?" asks Caesar.

I don’t know, but a lot of boys like her," says Peeta.

So, here’s what you do. You win, you go home. She can’t turn you down then, eh?" says Caesar encouragingly.

I don’t think it’s going to work out. Winning...won’t help in my case," says Peeta.

Why ever not?" says Caesar, mystified.

Peeta blushes beet red and stammers out. "Because...because...she came here with me.”

Suzanne Collins
“If Peeta and I were both to die, or they thought we were....My fingers fumble with the pouch on my belt, freeing it. Peeta sees it and his hand clamps on my wrist. "No, I won't let you." "Trust me," I whisper. He holds my gaze for a long moment then lets go. I loosen the top of the pouch and pour a few spoonfuls of berries into his palm. Then I fill my own. "On the count of three?" Peeta leans down and kisses me once, very gently. "The count of three," he says. We stand, our backs pressed together, our empty hands locked tight. "Hold them out. I want everyone to see," he says. I spread out my fingers, and the dark berries glisten in the sun. I give Peeta's hand one last squeeze as a signal, as a good-bye, and we begin counting. "One." Maybe I'm wrong. "Two." Maybe they don't care if we both die. "Three!" It's too late to change my mind. I lift my hand to my mouth taking one last look at the world. The berries have just passed my lips when the trumpets begin to blare. The frantic voice of Claudius Templesmith shouts above them. "Stop! Stop! Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to present the victors of the 74th Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark! I give you - the tributes of District 12!”

Suzanne Collins
“Peeta, you said at the interview you’d had a crush on me forever. When did forever start?

Oh, let’s see. I guess the first day of school. We were five. You had on a red plaid dress and your hair...it was in two braids instead of one. My father pointed you out when we were waiting to line up."

Your father? Why?"

He said, ‘See that little girl? I wanted to marry her mother, but she ran off with a coal miner.'"

What? You’re making that up!"

No, true story. And I said, 'A coal miner? Why did she want a coal miner if she could’ve had you?' And he said, 'Because when he sings...even the birds stop to listen.”

10/05/2011 page 56
10/05/2011 page 74
20.0% "An intelligent heroine that actually thinks before diving headfirst into trouble...I must be in love!" 16 comments
10/05/2011
34.0% 80 comments
64.0% "Rue...*sobs*" 55 comments
10/06/2011
80.0% "“I want to go home, Peeta.” Break my heart in two, why don't you, Katniss? :'("
95.0% "Yes, yes, YES!!" 1 comment
10/06/2011
100.0% "What a dreadfully amazing ending! Thank goodness I have the rest of the series on hand. :D" 3 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Giselle What? You haven't read this yet? Have you been living under a rock!? haha

Dija LOL, that's exactly how it feels when people are always going on about how great this series is! XD But don't worry, I plan to read this book within the week. :D

Anzu The Great Destroyer YES!!!! Finally!!! :D

Dija Where are you right now, Anzu? (I mean chapter-wise, so don't spoil anything for me in case I haven't yet read it. :P)

Anzu The Great Destroyer I am at moment 0! I'll start reading tonight lol :D What about you? XD

Dija I'm just about to start chapter #6. It's wonderful so far. I really really hope you like it!

Anzu The Great Destroyer OMG you're faaaar!!! I must catch up!!! :D

Dija Yes, you must! Because I'm dying to know what you think of it! And I also really wanna discuss it with someone who hasn't already read the entire series. XD

Anzu The Great Destroyer Ok so after tonight we feast talk lol XD

Aly is so frigging bored Hey I want in too :D

message 11: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer With THG? :p

Aly is so frigging bored If I had to read it why not curse about it too? :D

message 13: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Wow, Aly, you actually disliked THG? I'm impressed. XD

message 15: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Because 1 person our of 15 dislikes THG :p

Aly is so frigging bored :)) I go see how it's in my friends gig :D

Aly is so frigging bored 35 have it in their bookshelf:
19 gave it 4 or 5 *
1 gave it 2
and the rest are reading it or they have it in TBR :D

message 18: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer See? You're unique! :p

Aly is so frigging bored :)) I love that :D

message 20: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Yeah, that's why I was impressed, Aly. It's amazing that you defied the norm with this one, because I don't know anybody who has. XD

message 21: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Aly is the only one in my list who gave it such a low score :))

Aly is so frigging bored =))) So happy to be there :D I thank all my fans :D

message 23: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer =)))))))) you're awesome :p

Aly is so frigging bored Do you want an autograph? :D I think I have a photo of me here, somewhere :))

message 25: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Uhm..... Yeah, sure..... O.O
=))))))))

Mariya Hun, where's your review???

message 27: by Dija (last edited Oct 09, 2011 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Sorry, Mariya, just had an extremely busy weekend. I'll try to concentrate on writing a review, but I do think it'll be short. Either way, you MUST read this book anyway! I promise you won't be disappointed!

message 30: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Thanks! :D

Ronyell LOL!! Awesome review Dija!!! Loved the blond lady pic!

message 32: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Thanks so much, Ronyell. And LOL, that pic always cracks me up, because it's just so accurate when it comes to some great books I've read. XD

Ronyell Oh yeah! I always feel so happy after reading a good book too! :D

Claire :)Agree.

Ariana I love this review!! Straight to the point - those are the things I loved about this book as well ;))

message 36: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Thanks, Ari! HG will always hold a very special place in my heart. I love this series so so much. <333

message 37: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn @Dija----LOVE the gif!!!

message 38: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Awww, thank you, Dawn! <3

message 39: by Alexei (new)

Alexei Averchenko Unique plot? Really?

message 40: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija This was one of the earliest dystopians I'd read, so yes, it was. Even after reading more from the genre, I can still safely say that the plot of HG stands out against the rest. Sorry it didn't work for you.

message 41: by Alexei (new)

Alexei Averchenko Dija wrote: "This was one of the earliest dystopians I'd read, so yes, it was. Even after reading more from the genre, I can still safely say that the plot of HG stands out against the rest. Sorry it didn't wor..."

I understand the baby duck syndrome, but there's that and there's factual incorrectness.

message 42: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija To each their own.

Arlene Dija wrote: "This was one of the earliest dystopians I'd read, so yes, it was. Even after reading more from the genre, I can still safely say that the plot of HG stands out against the rest. Sorry it didn't wor..."

Dija, I read this novel the week it came out... almost four years ago and to say it was a unique plot... well I agree 100000%. :) Awesome review BTW.

message 44: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Thanks for defending my opinion, Arlene, and liking the review. :) Have you seen the movie yet?

Arlene You're welcome Dija.:) Yes, I saw it yesterday. I really enjoyed it and I plan to watch it again. Did you?

message 46: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Not yet. I'm in the middle of my final exams (yeah, I know it doesn't seem like it from the amount of time I spend online and reading, LOL), so I'll have to wait a while before watching it. I'm thinking of simply buying the DVD when it comes out instead.

Arlene Good luck on your finals. :) Well I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to see it.

Ariana I think too that 'The Hunger Games' movie was pretty good, as they kept it quite close to the storyline and I found the acting to be better than expected .. I hope you will enjoy it as well.
Good luck with those exams ;)

Miriam Love the review, and I have an extremely important question: what is that amazing .gif from? Is it a movie?

message 50: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Thanks for all the wishes, ladies! I definitely need all the luck I can get. XD

@Fofiriam: It's from the Princess and the Frog. It's a fabulous movie, my sister must have watched it a hundred times at least, LOL.

« previous 1 3