Terry's Reviews > A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge

A.D. by Josh Neufeld

Oct 19, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, graphic-art

I'm sighing even as I begin typing this, because I seem not to really like ANYTHING these days unless I overwhelmingly love it. I feel guilty about it, seriously. If I could give this 2 and 3/4 star, I would. Ugh. Maybe this is a 3. I dunno.

I think this book serves best almost as a supplemental history text, and/or, as a young adult book. I think it well describes what it was like to be in New Orleans before, during, and after Katrina for people who were not there or too young to process what was unfolding on our television screens. It's pretty straightforward: this happens, then this happens, then we felt this way about it, then it was over. It's a good document of the events, but lacks any direct evaluation of the causes and fallout of the whole disaster.

I really appreciate the class consciousness, though; this is one of the few books I've ever seen about any historical topic (especially one that I really argue is geared to a younger reader) that fully includes class as a topic of conversation and a reality of people's lives. For that alone I give the book high marks; I think that's what will probably tip this to a 3 star rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A.D..