Kit's Reviews > The Masque of the Black Tulip

The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig

Oct 19, 09

Read in October, 2009

I listened to the audiobook, which kept me constantly amazed at the narrator's ability to switch between English and American accents and sound totally natural either way. I'm a sucker for the Dashing Hero's Steadfast Best Friend, whether it's B.J. from M*A*S*H or Ron from Harry Potter, so a book about Miles Dorrington, the steadfast best friend from The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, was more interesting to me than the first installment.

This is not Possession by A.S. Byatt. (I couldn't get more than 50 pages into Possession by A.S. Byatt.) Willig is an unabashed fan of romance novels, and this is basically a romance novel, with accurate history thrown in. Swashes are buckled, there's a lot more hanky-panky (or havey cavey, as one of the characters points out) than in Jane Austen, and everyone knows that nothing in the final showdown is going to be allowed to stop the HEA. If you get tired of historical romances where the author seemed to think using the words "rake" and "curricle" were all it took, you will love this series. :)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Masque of the Black Tulip.