Dani's Reviews > The Jackal of Nar

Oct 19, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from March 13 to May 27, 2012

To start this book was hard to get into for me, I’m not entirely sure what it was that didn’t catch me because I enjoy John Marco’s writing, I like the idea in the book, but I just wasn’t drawn in right away. Although around the time that Richius and Dinadin ended up in the hotel with the Trin woman Dyana I was huffing about “men”. Although that is mostly due to personal issues I have I was so annoyed that Richius could save Dyana from rape, save her from Dinadin and then go ahead and sleep with her himself even after proclaiming that he wanted to “Protect” her. It just annoyed me so much that I got very, very huffy over that whole part in the book.

Oh and then suddenly he wants to show her that he isn’t a bad guy and wants to prove to Dyana that he still wants to protect her and that he would never hurt her. *huff huff huff* !!! So annoyed! Moving on!

Dyana is a spirited woman who wants to bow to no man, which is why I was so confused about her complete change once she is married to Tharn. What the hell happened there? She is a completely different character and it is impossible to take her seriously. Her fire just seemed to burn out.

The writing was slow. Like I said previously I like John Marco, Eyes of God continues to be one of my favorite books, but this book was slow. Maybe it’s because it’s his debut book but it was slow. The scenes dragged out with too much detail being mentioned for things that didn’t really matter. I’ve always liked the fact that Marco is not opposed to killing off vital characters but it felt so forced in this book, so needless.

Perhaps it is the theme of war but it just wasn’t a very fun or catching book. Conversations were broken up by long winded descriptions, action was broken up by long periods of Richius worrying over this and that and Dyana. Their love was very forced as well.

I’m not sure what more to say about this book. Marco seems to write damaged characters a lot better than normal ones, Richius came off pretty average and maybe that was the issue. I want the damaged, broken characters that caught me in Eyes of God. This book just seemed to drag on, and I dragged my feet trying to read it. I’m hoping that as the series moves forward John Marco’s writing will evolve into the style I fell in love with.

**This has nothing to do with the book but man are these advertisements on highlighted words the most annoying thing ever**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jackal of Nar.

05/15/2012 page 578
77.0% ""So it begins,"

Really? Now... almost 600 pages in?... Nope wait it didn't.

There is something so horribly banal about this book. I can't seem to even finish the last 100 pages."
05/24/2012 page 578
77.0% "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh.... I lost my book. :("

Kevin Xu Nice! You are one of the only person that I know that even knows this author. I love his work!

message 2: by Dani (last edited Mar 24, 2012 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dani Wow really? He's one of my favorites. I fell in love with his Eyes of God series. I think it's the fact that he doesn't have any reservations about killing off main characters. I was genuinely worried every time they got into a fight.

Chris Ah, good book. I found this out about this book when browing intuitively on Amazon. Enjoyed the book very much.