Joseph's Reviews > Only a Theory: Evolution and the Battle for America's Soul

Only a Theory by Kenneth R. Miller

Oct 19, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: tried-to-read

To be frank, I have gone back and forth on the whole evolution thing. I mean, some things - like adaptation - can't really be denied. Natural selection, on the other hand, is for me just synonymous with nihilism, which I'm somewhat intolerant of. Having said that, I picked this book up as something I thought would help me understand evolution a little better. In fact, it helped me understand why people don't like intelligent design, a theory which I'm only vaguely familiar.

Then about 60 pages in, the book got maddeningly boring. So I skipped to a later chapter and came across this line: "As a practical matter...science [is:] one of the few areas of academic inquiry that is largely unaffected by politics, whether in the so-called real world or in academia." Then further down the page, "...the practice of science, when compared to that of other academic disciplines, has been remarkably free of politics and political considerations." REALLY? Do people really believe this?

So I'm not going to read this book; someone naive enough to believe those statements likely isn't writing a book worth reading. The irony is, he's fighting against people who "still don't believe in evolution." I'm as hypocritical as the next person, but seriously?

I guess Miller's got one good thing going for him: his honesty doesn't come across as bigotry or arrogance - just naivete.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only a Theory.