Denise's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

Apr 28, 11

bookshelves: 2011, non-fiction, memoirs, travel
Read in February, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I was inspired on how we kept plundering on with no idea what he was doing; just putting himself out there and learning along the way to keep a promise and fulfill his dream to help build schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The first thing he learned... "The first time you share tea with a Balti, you are a stranger. The second time you take tea, you are an honored guest. The third time you share a cup of tea, you become family, and for our family, we are prepared to do anything, even die."

More importantly is his message on how to fight terrorism - not with war but with education. A strong message especially since he was there on 9/11. Kind of like what might work here..... hmmmm.

There are rumors now about how the money was mishandled and that he lied about events he talked about in the book. Not sure what I believe but does it matter how he built the schools and why just as long as he built them?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.