Carolyn's Reviews > Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth

Oct 19, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction
Recommended to Carolyn by: Jennie
Recommended for: expectant parents, parents of young children
Read in February, 2004, read count: multiple

This book really helped a tremendous amount with my newborn! It has a lot of science/research information to back up the advice AND anecdotal information about specific families going through the same kind of things I was. As a new parent it was nice to see several choices of methods available to me to help me with my daughter - and it encouraged me to make the choice that we were comfortable with, it didn't push any one method over others.

I, too, didn't know that a baby could need to go to sleep an hour after waking -- that alone was worth reading the book. It made a huge difference in her behavior when she was awake. For the first 8 weeks or so (before I got this book), she would cry incessantly if she wasn't held. If you put her down after she fell asleep, she would wake up after 5 minutes or so -- it was exhuasting! Once I tried putting her down after an hour of awake time, it made a huge difference!

But, like any advice you get (whether from a book or a fellow parent), take it all with a grain of salt -- and realize that it may not work for your unique little one. If this happens, move on and try something new, until you find something that works for your family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.