Dina's Reviews > Storm Watch (Harlequin Blaze, #487)

Storm Watch (Harlequin Blaze, #487) by Jill Shalvis

1918270
Oct 20, 09

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, harlequin-blaze, miniseries-uniformly-hot, to-blog
Read in October, 2009

Ooooh, this book was good! It almost made me wish for a flooding storm to hit me so a hot and wet hunk would come and rescue me... ;)

Jason Mauer is finally back home, in his brother Dustin's house in Santa Rey, CA, after years serving in the National Guard, and he doesn't quite know what he wants to do with his future. He could reinlist - and Uncle Sam would be more than happy to have him back - but he's just lost a friend during a rescue mission that's gone wrong and he's burned out with the military life. All Jason wants is to enjoy some R&R - meaning food, sleep and sex - while he contemplates his future but, as luck will have it, he arrives home in the middle of the worst storm Santa Rey has ever seen. He's barely worked on the "sleep" part of his immediate goals when Lizzy Mann, a blast from the past, arrives at Dustin's seeking his brother's help to get her to her 9-month pregnant sister Cece, who hasn't been answering her calls and who's probably stranded in her condo by the rising flood waters. Jason is surprised (and pleased) to meet Lizzy again, and offers to help her since Dustin isn't available - he's at work - but she isn't exactly thrilled with the idea of getting reacquainted with him, the bane of her high-school existence.

Lizzy used to have a huge crush on Jason during high-school, but nothing serious ever happened between them besides her helping him with his studies and him teaching her how to kiss - oh yeah! Now that they've met again 9 years later and they're fully-grown adults, sparks fly almost instantly and there's no denying the sexual chemistry between them. Naturally, she fights the attraction tooth and nail, because she can't let herself fall in love with him only to end up hurt in the end. But while they work their way to reach her sister's condo through the raging storm, she realizes that that's a fight she can't win. So why not take advantage of the fact that she's already soaking wet - from the pouring rain, that is? Besides, their wet clothes have to go if they don't want to catch pneumonia, right? And let's not forget the danger of hypothermia, so sharing body heat - in the nude - is a must. ;)

Oh yes, I really liked this book! Jason and Lizzy were fun and sexy, their love scenes were hot, the action was non-stop, and there was even a nice secondary romance involving Lizzy's sister Cece and the man who ends up helping her deliver her baby. Lizzy was a bit stubborn and slow to recognize what a good catch Jason was, but I liked her so I cut her some slack. The whole story happened in the span of 24 hours so one might think that the story was too rushed, but I didn't think so. Somehow, Jason and Lizzy managed to (re)connect with each other in that short amount of time and I closed the book believing they had a really good shot at living HEA.

Note: If you've read Flashpoint, Flashback and Heating Up The Holidays, you'll recognize Dustin, his fiancée Cristina and a couple of firefighters who are friends with Jason and Lizzy. There's no need to read those books to enjoy this one, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Watch (Harlequin Blaze, #487).

10/20/2009 page 1
0.45% "Working my way through the Uniformly Hot! miniseries... This should be fun!"
10/20/2009 page 88
39.29% "I don't understand how Jason and Lizzy manage to find the time to discuss their relationship while battling the flooding storm..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne This sounds good Dina, need to check the library catalogue:)

Dina I haven't read many books by Jill Shalvis but I really enjoyed the ones I've read so far... Well, her novella All He Wants for Christmas... was only an average read to me but it wasn't bad, so I'm still happy with her work.

message 3: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim Her Wilder Bros contemporaries are pretty good so far.

Dina I read the 1st book, Instant Attraction, and really liked it. I still have to get the next, Instant Gratification. Too many books, too little time.

message 5: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Great review, Dina! I love Jill Shalvis's books and really enjoyed her other Blaze books you mentioned, so I figure I'll like this one too. Now after you're review, I really need to move it on up the TBR!

message 6: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Dina!

Dina Thanks, Shawna and Rane! :)

I think you're going to enjoy this one, Shawna.