Jenny's Reviews > Cybele's Secret

Cybele's Secret by Juliet Marillier

Oct 19, 09

bookshelves: young-adult-fantasy
Read in October, 2009

I love anything written by Juliet Marillier. Love. Love love love. And Cybele's Secret is no different, though, after I got to the end, I wondered exactly WHY I loved it so much.

Paula, one of the sisters of Wildwood Dancing (the scholarly one) accompanies her father on a business trip to Istanbul. In fact, it's more of a quest than a business trip - a quest to obtain the legendary Cybele's Gift... a reputedly magical artifact from an ancient goddess. But there are, of course, complications, including a dashing pirate, a stubborn bodyguard, and a host of mysterious villains set on getting their hands on Cybele's Gift. Only Paula knows enough about the Other Kingdom to do right by the goddess... but she can't do it alone.

The storyline was a little more... contrived, perhaps, than most of Marillier's others - a reflection, I believe, of the intended audience. Regardless, I only closed the book with great reluctance, accepting only class as an excuse to put it down. Really, though, handsome pirates, gorgeous libraries, devoted bodyguards, and an intelligent heroine make for a great YA fantasy. The book has an older feel about it, a sense of quality rather than the cheapness that oftentimes afflicts modern teen fantasy.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cybele's Secret.