Brendan's Reviews > Manhood for Amateurs

Manhood for Amateurs by Michael Chabon

Oct 19, 09

Read in October, 2009

Here's the thing. About 95% of these essays came out of Details Magazine. Instead of spending $25.99 on a Michael Chabon book I could just become a complete goober. Then I'd probably read Details magazine because Esquire is for snobs and GQ is kinda gay. The only plus side is knowing that people who need Details Magazine (sample article:"Old Girls Gone Wild-Behind the scenes at the first national Cougar Convention.") are accidentally getting exposed to Michael Chabon, who is much better for them than, say, any single item in the monthly "Dating + Cheating" section.

If I knew now that this book was this book I would still read it. Gawker was, as usual, completely misinformed and wrong in their story on this ().

These essays are fun to read because Michael Chabon wrote them and the thing you learn from Michael Chabon is to just keep writing and realize that you're not just going to be a master novelist right out of Iowa. But knowing that some editor worked on these alongside some bullshit boxer/briefs questionaire takes the boy out of my balloon.

There are several fantastic essays about being a "good dad" which, although it is the passion of his adult life, he cleverly admits that existing makes him a good dad, meanwhile existing for a "good mom" is never enough. And that almost all mothers feel like bad mothers the majority of the time and will never have the joy of someone coming up to them alone in the supermarket just to comment on what a "good" parent they are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manhood for Amateurs.

10/19/2009 page 40
13.07% "on the simple nature of being a "good dad.""
10/20/2009 page 40
13.07% "Day two: it turns out that the majority of these stories are from Details Magazine."