Jeanna's Reviews > The Mommy Myth: The Idealization of Motherhood and How It Has Undermined All Women

The Mommy Myth by Susan J. Douglas

F 50x66
Oct 19, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: didn-t-finish, nonfic, parenting
Read in September, 2009

I was curious to see what the authors had to say about motherhood being idealized, even though I knew I wouldn't agree with a lot of what they had to say. I ended up just reading a couple of parts that I was interested in and not really caring about finishing the whole thing.

But I think they had a good point: mothers now are increasingly pressured to be totally perfect in every way--make your own baby food, homeschool, always be patient and understanding, teach your kid to read early so they're smarter, make sure they're involved in 7 million activities, don't have any time to yourself, and did I mention never losing your temper and always being patient and understanding? And lots more things too.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I'm constantly feeling like I'm supposed to be doing more to be a good mom. So I agree with their overall point that there's just too much pressure and it makes life a little bit miserable and guilt-inducing for mothers and even for women without children. But I also do think that being a mother is wonderful and meaningful--and if you're a mom, then that really is one of the most important jobs/roles you have. Not the only one, but definitely one of the most important. And that it does require some sacrifice on your part. It doesn't mean that you can't also have other things that are important to you, but being a mother means sacrificing or waiting on some of those things for a while.

Okay, enough soapboxing. Essentially, I thought they had some interesting things to think about, but the book was too politically charged to make a good read for the whole thing.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mommy Myth.