Lisa's Reviews > Uglies

851951
Oct 19, 09

bookshelves: teen, teen-fav, teen-adventure, 2009
Read in November, 2009

I admit I was slogging through the first 60 pages. It was quite difficult to immerse myself in the world of Uglies because Westerfeld gives little explanation. I had to rely on his characters to make sense of the world that they live in.

As I went further into the story, I found that this is not necessarily a negative point. His characters do not know much about their world either and the fact that the readers can learn about this world with the characters makes it easier to sympathise with the characters. I'm pleased to say that the next 350+ pages are good fun. I cannot put this book down - it is that addictive.

Westerfeld knows how to blend different genres. Uglies is quite an uncategorisable book - it's got adventure, drama, sci-fi, romance and humour. I admire this balance and originality.

It would be easier to create stereotypical/genre works based on the very interesting premise of Uglies. A full-blown sci-fi? Could be a good book, but it would be less original. An adventure book (saving friends and the world)? Too straightforward and may miss the underlying message. An angsty story about body image? Waste of the sci-fi element and a character study would do more justice for that kind of story. I actually thought that this book would be like Sara's Face by Melvin Burgess, which is a clinical and extreme look at beauty. But it is not like that at all.

Instead of focusing on any of the above, Uglies focuses on Tally, who is endearing, relatable despite her flaws.

Another thing that I admire about Westerfeld is his writing style. It is not overtly complex, but it is fresh, clear, simple and effective. No cliched portrayal of the Pretties (like, that is so hot). This book is highly recommended to teens, even the younger ones.

Image of Tally when I was reading: Talulah Riley, from Five Little Pigs (Hercule Poirot) and Moving Finger (Miss Marple).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uglies.

Misty I love this series. Love it.