Dawn's Reviews > Surviving the Applewhites

Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie S. Tolan

Oct 18, 2009

liked it
Read in October, 2009

This was a fun book to listen to on tape. Randy listened to it first and recommended it to me. I'd been hearing about it already on goodreads and elsewhere. I agree with my friend Kristine that it wasn't particularly realistic. The whole family was so wacky and a troubled juvenile delinquent became happy and good too easily. E.D., the "normal" one, was actually the most interesting character to me. She was the most believable character and had the most depth. So I'd have liked to read more from her point of view. I also enjoyed Govinda Swami. Robert Sean Leonard did a nice job with the narration and voicing of the characters. Overall it was a humorous, entertaining read/listen with a big plug for the arts. One thing that struck a chord for me was that as I was growing up, I always wished for a stellar talent in the arts, especially vocal music. But I was blessed with other talents and nothing flashy. E.D. has to deal with that and I did, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surviving the Applewhites.