Jeff's Reviews > Crossroads of Twilight

Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan

Jun 09, 13

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from January 07 to June 09, 2013

Nowadays, I'm never sure just what I think of the Wheel of Time series. There are times when something happens, and I just can't wait to move on to the next chapter, book or what have you. But then there are times when it takes me MONTHS to read one of them. Crossroads of Twilight is the perfect example of this.

The book is SLOW. Most of the book splits its time between Mat, Perrin and Egwene. I don't recall Nyneave even being mentioned, and Rand (ostensibly the main protagonist in the series) only shows up in one or two chapters. Elayne is all but absent, save for about three chapters. I could stop here, and you'd have a pretty good picture. But when do I just stop there?

Although the writing isn't as messy as it was in earlier books, it lags. I don't usually take three months on a single book, but this one was almost relegated to the boneyard. I normally like to praise the story that runs through the series, but this one seems to have missed the boat. I can't really think of anything really important that happened in it, other than what you get in the last ten pages or so. Sure, there are things that will come into play in later books, but come on! When the important events take up about ten percent of the total mass of this book, something is wrong!

Characters are the same as always. They're either made of wood, or they're one-trick ponies. Don't get me wrong; some of those ponies can change tricks (and have) but they still only focus on one trick at a time. It gets a little tiring. In addition to the characterizations, there are just too many characters doing too many things at a time. Based on my reviews of the previous books, you can surely tell that this certainly an event-driven story, but that shouldn't exclude good characters. Phrased another way, please don't simply pay lip service to main characters in your books. When two or three main protagonists are all but completely absent from one of the volumes, you should cut down on the number of characters you have. It doesn't make sense that these characters only show up in a couple of chapters so that the reader knows that they're still alive.

As always, I'm hoping the next one will be better. I would have rated this one 2 stars rather than 3, but I have to admit that part of the reason it took me so long was because I listened to Les Misérables, and a lot of the time I would have spent reading this book went there instead. I have to give the author the benefit of the doubt.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossroads of Twilight.

01/20/2013 page 191