Tom's Reviews > The Cord of Callows

The Cord of Callows by Anna Kavanaugh

Oct 18, 09

Excellent novel. Kavanaugh delivers yet again. This novel is an impressive feat of accomplishment for Kavanaugh, taking us into the actual process of death minute by minute rather than the threat or suggestion of it. She then shows us her canvas of what happens after that process and we meet a different God than we might expect and we also meet ourselves. It's an exceptional look at these ideas. The novel is really two books in one making it even more interesting. The first part examining the dangers of genetic technology and food modification programs occuring today, as well as the aftermath of a polar flux brought on by global warming if not conquored today. The second half of the book though left me speechless and examining my own life's perspective. The story is incredible and exceptionally written, in some places as beautiful prose with natural delivery. The novel gets five stars from me but I'm rating it here with four stars because of a couple of things. If someone reading this novel is a fundamentalist Christian or has strong unbreakable bonds to a biblical explanation and accountance for Christianity, then this novel will probably offend you because it gives a completely different account and suggestion of who and what God is, and addresses the question of WHY HE is, thus WHY WE are. It's incredible, but without an open religious/spiritual mind, this book might offend your sense of religious belief. None of that is a criticism of the book from me but I feel it's worth saying to those who haven't read it. The only personal criticism I do have for the book is the sub-story line of the orca-embryo reconstruction which was Sam Gousea's life work. I understood and could relate to what Kavanaugh wanted to express but I didn't feel fit the story as well as it could have but it wasn't enough to stray me from my involvement in the story at the same time. My only thing about that was there are so many mighty messages in the novel, I didn't feel we needed a save the whales message in there on top of it all. The book is so incredibly intelligent in design and delivery that I doubt that's what Kavanaugh was doing because that would be too trivial. I think she just chose the embryo theme as an example to drive home a bigger point, but I didn't feel it worked as well as it could have. Not a big distractor though. Incredible novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cord of Callows.