Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Mar 16, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from August 18 to 19, 2010

I've decided to give this book 4 stars.... It was a close thing. There are times, a great many of them actually, when I really just don't like Katniss. But to be fair, I believe that's how Ms. Collins wrote her. This is a well written book. It starts a bit slowly with some relatively extensive recapping but "it" finally does get into the story and moves right along. I found that I needed to keep reminding myself, "this is a 16 year old girl"... I'm not a "YA", but this is a YA book.

As the book opens I felt (and it's possible you will, though of course I don't know) that Katniss was caught in the middle of a Teen "everything revolves around me" state of mind.... My frustration with her was finally relieved a bit when she realized it. But that didn't keep her from sliding back into this particular state of mind on and off later in the book. As a matter of fact, there were times when I wanted to tell the girl she was a selfish, thick, little twit... But again I believe she was written that way, for a reason. I believe Ms. Collins was/is writing Katniss as a primarily emotion driven girl. And she succeeds.

So, after all that why did I rate the book a 4 star read? Because it's a good absorbing read with believable characters and a well constructed dystopian world. So far it's an excellent series and I look forward to getting the third volume. (Which I have already ordered.)

Update: Unfortunately things didn't pan out and I was very disappointed in the third volume of this series. That's sad, because the first was excellent and this one good. But it's a trilogy and the failure of the third pulls down the entire set.

I sold all 3.

Review of if you'd like to read it:Mockingjay:
27 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

03/10 marked as: read

Rose YES! I, too, am looking forward to Mockingjay. These are wonderful YA books with a fairly strong lead female, however with faults.
Have you ever read Graceling? That's another wonderful YA book you might like to check out. It's not really a series but has a companion to go with it later called Fire.

Mike (the Paladin) I have it on my shelf.... along with hundreds of other "to be reads". BUT, it is in the room with me and on the shelf with the "soon to be read" books. :) I also have Mockingjay waiting already on an order...I'm just trying to pull the money together...oh well. (LOL)

Rose I'm so spoiled...Mockingjay came into our store today. Can't sell till the 24th, but I get my copy on Sunday. Can't wait to start reading it :)

Mike (the Paladin) I've ordered mine, but I ordered it Amazon free shipping so I "pre-ordered" a couple of other books at the same time. Don't know if they will ship them all out together or separately on the free shipping. If I have to wait till they're all released it could be a month till I get mine.... I hate to wait, but then it's not like I don't have anything to read. :)

I may run out tomorrow and get the follow up to a science fiction book I just finished. I sent for it from the library but it could be into next week before I get it...and this turned out to be a good book to!

I don't have any will power either. (LOL)

Froggy I thought Mockingjay was awful. So sad too as The Hunger Games was one of my favorite books I've read in a while.

message 6: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Apr 16, 2012 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike (the Paladin) Yeah I was terribly in Mockingjay also:

It kind of ruined the entire trilogy for me...though a lot of people disagreed with me, LOL. The discussion below my review got very involved... :) I finally dropped out and just, let it roll. LOL