J's Reviews > A Darkness More Than Night

U_50x66
Oct 18, 09

Read in October, 2009

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

I may have read my 1st 2 Connelly books in an ideal order, though not in the comprehensive order of all the authors' books.

First I read "Last Coyote," about Bosch. Then I read "Blood Work," about Terry McCaleb. Third, I read this, "A Darkness More Than Night," which is the first sustained encounter between Bosch and McCaleb.

Interestingly, Bosch becomes suspect as McCaleb conducts his "free agent" analysis of a murder for a police friend. The murder victim happens to have been a suspect himself investigated and tracked post-investigation by Bosch.

It's a set-up, where bigwig Hollywood producer (who likes to strangle women during sex) attempts to get himself off the hook for homicide by setting up the murder of Bosch's murder suspect.

Lots of interesting background on Bosch's name sake, the artist Hieronymous Bosch.

Apparently Bosch is already rid of the woman love he met in "Last Coyote," single again, back on the police dept. in calif. (even tho prior books suggests Bosch may be moving to Fla.)

Bosch has rebuilt his home on the site where his earthquake-condemned home fr. "Last Coyote" was located.

In this book, McCaleb views himself at book's end as morally superior to Bosch (who in "Darkness" has used some extra-legal channel to do something, I forget exactly what -- Bosch also reveals to McCaleb circumstances of "Coyote," wherein Bosch illegally used the other police guy's badge and badge number, which resulted in that guy's killing).

And yet, McCaleb, to make himself out as superior, is obviously overlooking his own across-the-border killing of the despicable Code Killer, whom he had tracked to Mexico in "Blood Work."

I guess an author is allowed to manipulate-ignore his characters' past behaviors fr. other books, if he wishes.

"Darkness" has a lot of marital tension between McCaleb and his nurse wife, Graciela; while "Blood Work" was all about the couple's romantic courtship.

Makes me wonder if in some of the earlier Bosch books I haven't yet read, I will see Bosch as part of a realistic loving couple (the Florida love interest in "Last Coyote" seemed too fairy tale.)

This is the author who credits Scott Eyman in several of his books. So the Florida angle to some of the settings makes sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Darkness More Than Night.