Jane's Reviews > The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

The End of Overeating by David A. Kessler

F_50x66
Oct 18, 09

Read in October, 2009

After reading this book, I'm not sure I'll ever want another French fry again. Well, maybe I'll still WANT one, but I'll probably think twice about eating it--and a lot of other things. Had heard David Kessler, a former U.S. Surgeon General, interviewed about this book on MPR one day and added this book to my list. Kessler breaks down the food industry's efforts to attract consumers with "hyperpalatable" foods that encourage "hypereating," so apparently some of this overeating is not really our faults--the food was engineered to MAKE us overeat. Also covered are the highly processed, highly chemical-containing foods so many Americans these days take for granted--some of which people actually assume are good for them (or at least not so bad). Kessler leaves the reader with some strategies for coping with overeating, and for identifying foods that make us want to overeat. One of his primary points is awareness, and one cannot claim to be unaware of the nutritional/dietary pitfalls all around us after reading this book. A good strategy would be to do one's best to avoid too many processed foods, and to not eat out (ANYWHERE) very often!!! After putting down this book, about the only thing that sounded palatable to me was a homecooked veggie stir fry served atop whole grain brown rice. That might be "what's for dinner" at the Moore house this very night!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Overeating.