Cindy's Reviews > The Stand

The Stand by Stephen King

Apr 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: own, does-my-book-look-big-in-this, dystopic-or-apocalyptic, whack-a-doo
Read from March 20 to April 05, 2011

I really want to give this two-stars. Why? It utterly fails the Bechdel Test. You'd think after 1153 pages King could have two women interact with each other. But no.

Other than that... it was okay. I found the storyline to be quite predictable. I was hoping for a more intricate story in such a long book. King seemed to be more interested in describing everyone in the large cast of characters. But a large cast doesn't make an intricate book.

The long journey at the end (don't want to give anything away!) was the best part of the book by far. I could have taken much more of the survival story, and much (much) less of the supernatural thing.

I saw that the 1994 miniseries adaptation was released on Netflix last week, so I'll update my review after I watch it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stand.

03/29/2011 page 463
40.0% "Yeah, okay, I am finding the slow parts now." 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Cait Poytress This is one of my favorites! I so hope you like it.

Alex And how's this working out for you?

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Wow! I read this book 3 times in my late teens. Loved it.

message 4: by Aylin (new) - added it

Aylin I must be the only person in the world that struggled through almost half this book (upon my sisters insistence) before I finally gave up.

Alex Probably, but I do remember some slow parts. That book is long.

message 6: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel I'm reading a King too: Night Shift! The Stand is next; tell me how it is!

Cindy Sorry I'm late to the party! I'm on vacation, and hotel internet is spotty at best.

At any rate -- don't read this while you have a cold. *a-choo!*

Hahaha. There's a HUGE cast of characters that King is flinging at me, but I think War & Peace was a serious extreme-multi-character workout for me. All the character asides could be quite boring. We're never sure if they're going to be with us after a few pages.

Other than that -- well, I'm not really too far in to the book. I've been busy doing oodles of Legoland, dancing, and swimming with my niece, so The End of Humanity hasn't been sucking me in.

Cindy Alex wrote: "LEGOLAND!"

Hahaha. Yeah, 5 days of Legoland. I kid you not. That's allota legos.

message 10: by Cait (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cait Poytress The miniseries is really well done, but keep in mind that it is dated. I remember watching it when it first aired and thinking it was incredible. I watched it again recently and, while I still appreciated it, much of it seems kind of cheesy now (mainly the special effects). Still worth a watch though.

Harold I read this way back before the longer "unedited" edition was released. At the time I enjoyed it but since then I've found King unreadable for me. I've probably started and not fineished a greater number of books with him than any other author. BTW, SK borrowed the idea for this from a "Earth Abides" - an excellent novel with no supernatural elements about a few survivors of a catastrophe that wipes out most of mankind.

Cindy Harold wrote: "At the time I enjoyed it but since then I've found King unreadable for me."

This was my very first Stephen King. Late last night I was thinking about how much I would have enjoyed this book when I was 17. I was much more into characterization then, but now I need a bit more quality in the writing.

Jayme Ouch, Cindy. This book is pretty awesome and you're making me sad. Maybe you'd like Under the Dome Better. At any rate I'd love to see how you compare the two. And the Dome has no supernatural and is more dystopic(?) than The Stand. You love dystopias!

Cindy Sorry, Jayme (and others!) I really, really wanted to like it. I didn't expect the supernatural element to be the central theme. By the end, the Good v. Evil just wasn't compelling enough because it was so damn predictable. If it makes you feel better, I've also bummed out my husband by not loving The Stand.

But I luuurve dystopias! I was wondering if Under the Dome was supernatural or not, so I'm glad to hear it's not.

message 15: by Aylin (new) - added it

Aylin I really liked A Canticle for Leibowitz, Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Clockwork Orange, The Giver... did not like The Stand (the half I read). Maybe it's just timing.

message 16: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Black i'd never heard of the bechdel test. interesting concept -- thanks, cindy!

Cindy Nick wrote: "i'd never heard of the bechdel test. interesting concept -- thanks, cindy!"

It seems so simple, but it's shocking how many movies and books fail the test.

Jayme I think I remember Under the Dome passing the bechdel test too. So do it, Cindy!

Jayme Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm positive it does, and more than once, with different women!

Cindy Jayme wrote: "Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm positive it does, and more than once, with different women!"

Wow, you mean women actually speak to each other, apart from men? /sarcasm/ It's crazy how often stories fail this, isn't it?

Yeah, okay, I'll give Under the Dome a try. Peer pressure!

Jayme Woo hoo! And you'll get yet another floor joist point for it. You're wiping the board, Cindy!

Cindy Jayme wrote: "Woo hoo! And you'll get yet another floor joist point for it. You're wiping the board, Cindy!"

Yay, more points! But I'm not really wiping the board. Heather is way out in front.

And I've got a stack of shorter reads that I need to finish before tackling yet another Floor Joist.

Am I a whiner today or what?! I'm like fucking Eeyore or something.