Clawfoot's Reviews > King's Property

King's Property by Morgan Howell

Oct 18, 09

Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I was surprised to find that the book wasn't self-published, to be brutally honest. What editing went into it was scant, and I can't say the book was written with much skill. The characterizations and the plot are unsubtle and wholly predictable -- not one surprising thing happens in the entire novel.

Actually, that's wrong. There are a few surprises, mostly when the main character, Dar, develops brand new and never-before even hinted at abilities and skills when it becomes convenient for her to have them. She'd never worked with horses before in her life (the first chapter made that very clear) but she suddenly and inexplicably can calm them when no other soldiers (who work with them every day) can. She never encountered another language and can barely understand a different dialect when it's spoken to her, yet she picks up orcish like a natural. She learns knife-play in a few hours where it takes soldiers days or weeks. In a camp full of women, she is the only one who ever even witnessed a birth before, and manages to know exactly what to do when the time comes.

The author does do some interesting things with the culture of the orcs, though. I'll say that for it.

Overall, I'm surprised I finished the book, actually. I think it was the train-wreck effect that kept me going to the end. I certainly won't be bothering with the other books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King's Property.