Jacqui's Reviews > Red Star Rogue: The Untold Story of a Soviet Sumbarine's Nuclear Strike Attempt on the U.S.

Red Star Rogue by Kenneth Sewell

Apr 29, 10

bookshelves: military

Kenneth Sewell and Clint Richmond (the authors) share an amazing amount of information about the rogue nuclear-powered Russian sub K129 that almost launched a nuclear attack on Pearl Harbor in 1968. Using a plethora of available facts--many only recently released--they are not afraid to draw logical conclusions and weave a daunting picture of what might have been had the attack succeeded. Though we can't know (no videos, journals, captain's log remain--the sub's carcass is lost deep beneath the ocean) what happened, I have read no other conclusions that fit the facts as well as theirs. As much as they can figure, Pearl Harbor and the USA survived only by virtue of the fail safe devices installed as standard equipment on nuclear weapons, designed to prevent just such a hijacking by the bad guys of the world.

Whether true or not, it's a fascinating read, filled with specifics that can't fail to make you cross your fingers in hopes we never get this close again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Star Rogue.