Cassandra's Reviews > Harriet the Spy

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

Oct 17, 2009

bookshelves: secular-fiction, for-future-kids

Re-read started 7/17/11, finished 7/19.

Ah, an old favorite. Still loved it as an adult, though not as much as when I was a child. I'll probably still share this book with my kids. Harriet is fun and outgoing, a tad disobedient, but teachable. Now I want to spy on my neighbors... if I didn't know any better!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harriet the Spy.

03/20/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Johnson So you would say this is okay for the ten and under crowd? My daughter is looking for something new. I usually preread, but you and I have VERY similar tastes and ideals in kids' books.

Cassandra Michelle wrote: "So you would say this is okay for the ten and under crowd? My daughter is looking for something new. I usually preread, but you and I have VERY similar tastes and ideals in kids' books."

I think it would be alright for 10 and under. It is very clean, as far as I remember. The only issue with it is that Harriet is a bit of a sneak and spies on everyone. There is a good moral - she gets caught and has to make it up to her friends. She learns that words can hurt. Even the truth can hurt if said without love. I think I read it at age 8 or so.