Laura Floyd's Reviews > Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale

Oct 17, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult
Read in January, 2009

This book came to me very highly recommended, and perhaps that is the reason I was so disappointed with it. The plot wasn't bad - it had lots of potential - but it somehow felt like it wasn't well anchored. For one thing, I spent the entire length of the book wishing it was being narrated in first person. A peek inside Kaye's head maybe would have allowed me to feel a little better about her transition from mortality to faerie-ness which transition, aside from two paragraphs of obligatory angst, she suffered with almost no difficulty at all. How does a girl who had such a horrible life take so easily to the world of faeries? It was very abrupt, even given the bit of information that she'd played with faeries growing up. The thread of love story also felt rather awkward. The readers are given no reason to fall in love with Roiben ourselves, which makes it a little odd to read about Kaye going gaga for him, also with no apparent explanation.

But, all awkwardness of the telling aside, I am intrigued by the idea of competing realms of faeries and by the very natural idea that there is no such thing as a Good Side versus an Evil Side. I will probably give the next book in the series a try to see if Black works out any of her narrative issues as she gets deeper into her story. Here's hoping.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tithe.