Cindy's Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Nov 03, 09

bookshelves: own, 1001-books, made-me-laugh, fiction, british
Read in November, 2009

***Goodreads swap from 10/09 at Vroman's. Thank you anonymous swapper!***

What an achievement to write a book that steps into the mind of an autistic teen yet allows us to laugh out loud and feel some deep emotions! Not to mention it reminded this crusty scientist of her childhood wide-eyed amazement and enthusiasm for the beauty of math.

Seriously, it's okay to laugh at Christopher's quirks and missteps despite his autistic-spectrum disorder. He has Behavioral Problems that most of us have experienced in one way or another, but perhaps not taken to such extremes. He reminds me a lot of Adrian Mole, twisting and bending rules and getting himself into funny, awkward situations.

My favorite part of the book is where he describes his logic of seeing red cars and having a Super Good Day. He points out to the psychologist that other people take seemingly illogical cues (the weather as they step out of the house) that sets their mood for the day. His cue is a bit more unique. Likewise, people have morning routines they faithfully follow that shows they like things nice and ordered, too.

This book should be read in high-schools. It reads fast, funny, with emotional reverberations and a strong empathy moral. Readers question what it means to be "normal," a question that torments teenagers daily.

OK, I can see where the "normal is not all its cracked up to be" moral is a bit ham-fisted at the end. The emotional or sympathetic didacticism here can turn off some readers; not everyone wants a moral lesson with their novel. However, sympathy and empathy are two morals-of-the-story that everyone should learn, embrace and practice. This books gets you there with a laugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

11/02/2009 "Picked this up at the October Goodreads bookswap at Vroman's. Thanks to whomever brought it!"