Allison's Reviews > Hood

Oct 20, 2009

bookshelves: arlington-pls, historical-fiction
Recommended for: Dianna
Read in October, 2009

I like Stephen Lawhead. I am currently obsessed with everything Robin Hood from the original ballads, to the new kids fiction, to old DOS games. That being said, I really liked this book and that is a rare complement for me to give on a piece of Adult fiction. Lawhead has an easy writing style and I can understand why he put the series in Wales. The historian in me appreciates the research (though I wish the Author's note had been in the front), and I expected a bit of unorthodoxy from him anyway after I read (and loved) Avalon The Return of King Arthur.

I was really excited that Merian was feisty like in the Kevin Costner movie and that Tuck was reverent but also true to his irreverent self. And I liked that the Baron was not strictly bad but also conflicted.

I only gave this book four stars because as much as I liked it the plot seemed to drag a bit towards the end. Only for about the last 30 pages or so but when a book is that long that is a lot.

I really want to buy the trilogy but I'm in a buying freeze right now and they don't have Tuck or Scarlet at my library. I guess I'll just have to wait 'til Christmas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hood.

Quotes Allison Liked

Stephen R. Lawhead
“If thou wouldst seek justice, thyself must be just. ”
Stephen R. Lawhead, Hood