Laura's Reviews > I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President

I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class... by Josh Lieb

Oct 17, 09

bookshelves: ya-literature, fiction

The title kind of says it all, really. Oliver Watson is, in fact, a 12-year-old evil genius, complete with minions, who single-handedly runs the world (or at least several multi-national corporations, which is the same thing). But like most 12-year-old boys, his real ambition is to impress his aging hippie father, who likes to wax rhapsodic about the wonders of the democratic process. Presumably because 12-year-olds can't be United States Senators, Oliver runs for class president, but, because his father won't be impressed by anything less than a 100-percent-American-as-apple-pie-honest-to-god democratic victory, he tries to do it fair and square.

The conceit here starts to get a bit old rather quickly, but the writing is funny, the plot is engaging (believe it or not), and the photographs are pretty funny, especially the one photo essay (although I couldn't help thinking that the latter was more a function of the author's getting a bit lazy than it was a genuine attempt to be funny). And the portrayal of Oedipal tension between father and son really is very well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President.