Liz's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Jul 01, 11

bookshelves: 5-star, own, signed-by-author, vampires, young-adult
Read from May 22 to 30, 2011

Back when I was just a blog lurker and one of the few book blogs I read was Good Books and Good Wine (run by the lovely April), whenever I saw the Vampire Academy books online or on a shelf, one word popped into my head: dubious. However, April and I have fairly similar tastes, and when she gave Vampire Academy a rave review, I figured it might be time for me to give it a chance. I idly picked up a used copy and some point and let it sit on my shelf. Eventually, Richelle Mead came to Minneapolis to hold a signing (originally part of her tour for The Last Sacrifice), which was rescheduled to June of 2011 after a ridiculous blizzard hit the Twin Cities area in December 2010 (I’m not kidding you when I say we got two feet of snow in under 24 hours). So when I went to her signing, I purchased my books and got in line early, figuring I’d read while I wait. As I read the last 200 pages of this book a few days later, the words “I can’t believe I waited this long to read this book!” sprinted through my head on a loop. YOU GUYS. THIS BOOK IS SO FREAKING GOOD. THIS MIGHT BE NEW FAVORITE YA VAMPIRE BOOK.

First of all, let me start off with the world building. Holy freaking crap, the world-building. The vampires in Vampire Academy boast many more attributes than skin that sparkles in the sunlight and a charming, convenient penchant towards vegetarianism. Instead, there are different types of vampires. While I understand that Mead didn’t necessarily come up with the ideas damphir, Moroi and Strigoi, I loved the way she incorporated those three types of vampires into a YA setting.

Our main character and narrator, Rose, is devoted to protecting her Moroi best friend, Lissa. I thought I was going to hate Rose at first--she’s stubborn, and not what one might refer to as a “warm fuzzy.” However, I grew to understand her much better as the book went on. In fact, I was exceptionally impressed by her loyalty towards the end of the novel.

And Dmitri. Oh, Dmitri. He’s hot, he’s a badass and he’s extremely intelligent. Damn. I kind of want one for myself.

As if the world-building and characters weren’t enough to hook me, this novel was also incredibly fast-paced. I barely put it down during the last 200 pages. It has action, cute boys and a bit of steamy time.

I was a fool for not reading this book earlier. Vampire Academy was a fast-paced, engrossing read that had me gasping and shouting “Oh no he didn’t!” If you haven’t jumped on this bandwagon, I suggest you remedy that fact. In some ways, it may be good that I finished this book after meeting Richelle Mead, because otherwise I likely would have fansploded in front of the SEARS at Mall of America (fansploded=fangirling + exploding). I already have the rest of the series waiting for me to pick them up, and am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

05/28/2011 page 59
18.0% "Love the world building so far!"
05/29/2011 page 213
64.0% "Starting to like Rose a lot more. Looking forward to finishing this one in the morning!"
05/30/2011 page 332
100.0% "Way better than I expected! Can't wait to read the rest of the series."