K's Reviews > There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom

F 50x66
Oct 17, 09

bookshelves: kidsbooks
Recommended for: kids grades 4-6; great for discussion

My nine-year-old just read this, and urged me to do the same. My other kids liked it as well, and were eager to have a "family book club" on it so I happily took a break from "The Left Hand of Darkness" (a permanent one, as it turns out) to read this.

It's actually a very good children's book about two kids and their social difficulties; one who's simply new at school, and another with complex behavioral problems. They both end up forming a relationship with the school counselor and improving their situations. The story can be simplistic at times, which I guess is to be expected in a kids' book. I thought the young, pretty counselor who's disapproved of by the parents was a bit of a cliche (this book was very reminiscent of "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit" at times), but I imagine young readers will be less cynical than I am. Overall, the story is engaging and there's actually a lot to discuss. The themes are interesting and Sachar has good insight into kids.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom.

message 1: by M (new)

M I remember reading this and loving it. I even recommended it to adults at the time (I was about nine or so myself) because it seemed more substantial than the usual (though with that title it was a hard sell). As I recall there were good insights there. All I remember now is that the social worker wore different colored socks. Funny the things you remember.

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K It was a very good book, with lots of different insights. The story sometimes seemed a bit black-and-white, but that's probably age-appropriate.