The Loft's Reviews > Audrey, Wait!

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

1906585
Oct 17, 09

bookshelves: ya-humor

“Hi, Mom, it’s me. I’m alive and sober. But there’s still time for things to get exciting.”

So says the spunky and often sarcastic Audrey, the teenage heroine of this novel. After her life was turned upside down by her ex-boyfriend writing a mega-hit of a song called “Audrey, Wait!” about her, and more specifically the way she dumped him, she has to change the way she would normally live her life. As a result of all the unwanted paparazzi and fans that she has acquired – she has to call her parents every half-hour she is out — and do all her schoolwork in the school office. She has a lot to figure out. Like how to handle her new relationship when she can’t go on a date without a police escort. But even though Audrey has a lot of serious things to figure out, the tone of the novel is generally humorous.

“My mom sat down at the table and I followed her lead. ‘We’re not trying to ruin your life, you know.’

Yeah. I know.’

‘Because if we ruin your life, then you’re going to be one of those kids that lives in the den and never moves out, and your father and I have plans to retire someday. It’s not in our best interests to ruin your life. We’d like to see Tahiti.’”

If you’re really into music and enjoy attending concerts, you will definitely like this book. Before each chapter the author put a song quote that has something to do with what happens in that chapter. This book is very well put together and very well-written. It’s easy to tell that a lot of time and effort was put into creating it. This is a fun read about a teenage girl figuring out her new life. It’s an original story and is told in Audrey’s strong voice. This is her story and she wants the world to understand her side of things, the side they didn’t see on MTVnews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Audrey, Wait!.