Renee Thompson's Reviews > Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness

Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm

Oct 17, 09

Read in November, 2007

INDIAN CREEK CHRONICLES details the seven months Pete Fromm spent in a tent as a young man in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness guarding salmon eggs. There is much to love in this book, and several times I laughed out loud, as I thoroughly related to Pete’s fascination with the mountain-man mystique. In describing himself as a nineteen year old about to embark on his winter-long endeavor, he says:

“At the last instant I remembered to buy a percolator and a few pots and pans, things I’d never owned or used. And finally I added a hundred pounds of potatoes, saying I’d dig a food cache to keep them from freezing. I didn’t really have any idea how to make such a thing, but the word “cache” was always creeping up in the mountain man books. It had a certain sound to it.”

I remember years ago reading a paperback based on the movie “Jeremiah Johnson,” and thinking warm biscuits slathered in bear grease must be the best thing going. I even fantasized about homesteading in Alaska, going so far as buying a laundry basket and a spatula and other items I’d need for my new life in the wilds. I too was 19, and had never held an ax or caught a fish or picked a berry from a vine. But life in Alaska sounded divine.

The thing about Pete’s book is that it highlights how completely insane my plan was, and how much I missed by never having tried.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indian Creek Chronicles.