Sera's Reviews > Home: A Memoir of My Early Years

liked it
bookshelves: biography-memoir, library
Recommended for: Sarah
Read in October, 2009 , read count: 1

This book is pretty interesting. Like many celebrities, Andrews has a difficult childhood, but once she leaves home at the age of 15, the rest of her life works out very well for her. The book ends when she gets the Mary Poppins role so I'm not sure what happens thereafter. Andrews attempts to remain humble throughout the book while pointing out what a phenom she was, but she has a right to give herself props. There's no real scandal around her, she was a team player and most of all, she was a phenom, but kept her ego in check - at least until she went to Disney. I hope that she follows up this book with another, because I would like to read what happened in the next phase of her life.

I would recommend this book more for my theater friends, because there is quite a bit of name dropping in that area, but unfortunately, I hadn't heard of anyone until Andrews stars in My Fair Lady. Richard Burton was so cool even before Liz Taylor, and it's interesting to hear about Roddy McDowell and Robert Gould, too. The photos in the book are also kind of interesting, too, even though there is nothing in them that is a must see for the reader.

Overall, a good, but not great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.

10/17/2009 page 20
100% "Who knew that Julie Andrews could write, too?" 5 comments
10/19/2009 page 225
100% "I'm at the part where Andrews starts to rise to fame - life in the theater was very interesting during that time."