Maria's Reviews > Mourning Doves and other stories.

Mourning Doves and other stories. by Tom Upton

Dec 19, 09

Read in December, 2009

Tom Upton's stories in this collection are very diverse. Some are more enjoyable than others, but on the whole there is something in every one of the stories that will make a reader stop and think. The version I read could definitely do with some editing, as there are many typos and errors which distract from the stories and weaken the flow of the writing.
Tom Upton's talent seems to lie in being able to grab the reader's attention and draw them into the story, and most importantly to keep the reader's interest. There are many believeable and well-observed/developed characters in these tales. Halfway through the collection, I think there are a couple of stories that could have been left out, interestingly 'Mourning Doves' was one of them! That story along with 'Fetal Position' are, in my opinion, the weakest stories in this collection. My personal favourites are, 'The Hanging Boy', which I felt was particularly insightful, and, 'Life Along the Okie-dokie Highway'.
Sometimes I found that the endings to the stories were not very satisfying, even though the actual stories and content were very interesting.
I enjoyed reading this book and it's definitely a collection worth reading.
Many thanks to Tom Upton for giving me a free download copy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mourning Doves and other stories..

11/27/2009 page 15
12/04/2009 page 102
48.11% "The quality of the stories varies quite a lot in this collection so far, I really enjoyed the first few, but now... I'll persevere"
12/15/2009 page 165
77.83% "Most of these stories are compulsive reading, even though the book needs editing to get rid of the typos and mistakes."
show 7 hidden updates…