Lavinia's Reviews > A Room of One's Own

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

Oct 22, 09

bookshelves: 2009, non-fiction, in-en
Read in October, 2009

I must confess I came to read the book not because I was in the mood for Virginia Woolf's prose, but because I was listening to Shakespears Sister's Stay a few weeks ago and I was wondering how they chose their name. So, thanks to Google, I made the right connections and I ended up reading this online version of the book.

It's been a while since I last read Woolf in original and I shamefully remember when I almost fell asleep trying to read Orlando, so I was a bit afraid her prose would turn me into sleeping beauty again. But I was completely wrong, because the text is so juicy and her style, oh! THAT style is almost perfect (not that I can define perfection). Therefore I will give Orlando another chance. I wish I was there when she spoke about women and fiction, I wish I had teachers like her, explaining and demonstrating in a simple yet complex manner why women couldn't write as men did, why it was (is?) of the utmost importance that they had a fixed income and rooms of their own if they wanted to write fiction. This is the plot in a nutshell, but the entire text is rich, well documented -if you ask me- and extremely amusing, despite the seriousness of the subject.

Highly recommended.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Room of One's Own.

10/17/2009 "Never heard of Oxbridge before. Oh, the shame! And now, few hours apart, I met it in both books I'm currently reading."
10/17/2009 "for it is the nature of biscuits to be dry, and these were biscuits to the core."