oliviasbooks's Reviews > Alle halten mich für einen Jungen

Alle halten mich für einen Jungen by Ulf Stark

I bought this with my pocket money in 1986 and read it many times. So many times, in fact, that I covered the fraying dust jacket with sticky foil eventually. I guess, I liked stories about girls pretending to be boys and having to deal with all the funny pitfalls even then.

But contemporary children's books from Sweden like this one - or like "Wie eine Hecke voller Himbeeren" ("Om livet är dig kärt") held an extraordinary appeal just by being so gloriously unrestricted and open. German children's lit was fine and realistic, but who in Germany would have written scenes in which twelve-year-olds have a naked cuddle in a boat house or in which the helplessly geeky boyfriend of the heroine's mother has to be rescued out of a tree in his underpants or in which a grandfather plans a garden party in order to die in the midst of his friends?

The only complaint I've got is the German translation of the title. I suppose the title (translates to "Everybody's taking me for a boy") made me want to buy the book in the first place, but "Dårfinkar & Dönickar"(= "Weirdos and Bores") fits much, much better, because those are the categories Simone's grandfather, who is deliciously weird himself, sorts people into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alle halten mich für einen Jungen.

06/26 marked as: read